Monday, October 3, 2011

To Boldly Go

Anyone who's seen the new Star Trek movie has undoubtedly noticed the rampant amount of lens flare the film makes use of and, while some may think it cheesy or tacky, I began to appreciate it more after J. J. Abrams explained how he felt that t was cool that "the future was so bright it couldn't be contained in the frame."

Looking to the future and its unbridled possibilities, I am usually overcome with a wave of awe, an electricity of anticipation, and more than just a twinge of fear. At times, though, I find myself so completely overcome with the beauty of human potential and the what-can-be of tomorrow that, if I were a stronger man, I would allow myself to cry at the amazement of it all. I fathom an America where community and human engagement have become tangible, where the news broadcasts highlight good being done, and the new church preaches that "education" is a lifestyle, like being a vegan or a parent or a citizen, not a four-letter word whose domain begins and ends within the walls of a building. And then my next immediate thought is usually a very sobering "it's a shame that we are not on-track to make this a reality" and I'm aware of how a frustrated idealist can be mistaken quite easily for a brooding pessimist.

No comments:

Post a Comment